Monday, September 04, 2006

Don't Read This If You Can't Handle Cockroaches

So yesterday morning Sarah stepped into the shower and turned around to see an inch long cucaracha in the corner. She tells me she screamed, and I'm sure she did. I think I would have too, loud enough to be heard back in the U S of A. She jumped out, left the water running and closed the door hoping that the nasty beast would drown to death. It did not. So she grabbed a cup from near the sink and was able to trap la cucaracha underneath it. She was so broken up about having to trap an innocent little animal like that that she couldn't go near the shower for the rest of the day.

When I got home I gathered my weapons: a Gatorade bottle and one of my work boots. When I got to the shower I assessed the situation. The cup was still on top of the roach, and one of his hairy legs was protruding from beneath the rim. At first I pinned the leg down with the edge of my boot, and removed the cup. La cucaracha was on its back and started an attempted attack on my boot immediately. I tried to snuff it out with the Gatorade bottle but it just wasn't doing the trick. I was able to hold down one of his antennae with the bottle which freed the boot up for some action. I knew I had to be quick. My plan was to lift the bottle and bring down the boot before it could move. My left hand was like lightning, and my right brought the thunder. There was an explosive crack and a sickening splat as the insides of the cockroach were spread across the wall of the shower.

I cleaned out the shower and removed the remains, and then went out back and got a brick. The brick is now standing guard atop the shower drain, and while we're sleeping every sink drain stopper is in place.

No comments: