Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Search

So I rode my bike to work yesterday. We have showers at work, so I'm able to take one when I get there, which is key for me being able to ride. The trip to work was nice and unremarkable. As I prepared to head home I noticed that the clip holding my bike lock to the frame of the bike did not have an especially tight grip. After fooling with it for a few seconds I decided it was tight enough and took off. The ride back to the apartment was uneventful. However, when I arrived at the apartment I saw that the clip had failed and the lock was missing. After calling Sarah to see what our dinner plans were, I immediately set back out to find the lock. I traced my path back towards work, riding on the sidewalk so I could see the gutter where I had been riding. About half way back to work I was riding next to a tall hedge. Suddenly the hood of a car popped out into a driveway immediately in front of me. I slammed on my brakes, flew up over the handlebars and flew superman style straight into the side of the car, with my bike tumbling after me. After I collected myself I could tell that I was not hurt and that my bike had only a couple minor scratches. The car, however, had a rather large dent from the impact of my hand of steel. The driver was a young woman who was quite concerned for my and my bike's well being. I assured her we were fine, and gave her my address and cell number. It took a little convincing to get her to take the information, although I can't imagine why. It's not like I was asking for hers. I think she was just a little shaken up. After that I continued on all the way to work. I checked around where I had locked the bike during the day, and set out for home, still on the lookout for the lock. I did not see it at all, so it looks like I'll be getting a new bike lock.

I hope, Lora Lynn and Andrew, that this gives you some happiness. I'd like to think of it as my less intense equivalent to your van window day.

No comments: