Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Fatherhood

I have long wanted to be a father. I enjoyed growing up with seven siblings, and I've always liked being the oldest. I learned how to change diapers (cotton ones with pins and rubber pants) when I was seven years old, and I babysat quite a bit in my youth. I pretty much just like kids and taking care of them. It's also incredible to contemplate the fact that our progeny will soon be toddling about, bringing either joy or a poopy bottom to every person he or she crawls up to. There will be a little Cooper in the family soon.

I must admit however, that the prospect of impending fatherhood is frightening as well as enjoyable. Our life is going to change. Maybe not as much as it did when we got married 14 months ago, but maybe as much, and maybe in less enjoyable ways. We will be inextricably and completely responsible for the well being of our child. As thrilling as that is it's also kind of scary. It's also tough to think about the world that we're bring this kid into. Our deepest prayer is that this child will serve God when the time comes to choose. I found a song by Bob Dylan today that captures some of my feelings pretty well.

Don't think that I'm more scared than excited. My joy far outweighs my fear, and I'm sure my impatience for the child to arrive will become quite a problem.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, that's a great song by bob dylan.....and we have to tell you guys that we're so happy to hear the news. and it will be great fun to watch you two begin this "adventure" of raising children. congrats!!
all the warners

Anonymous said...

Congrats on joining the ranks! Get some good folks (or maybe "blokes" down under) around you who can help you through some of the early times. It has been the hardest thing Katie and I have ever done but if we could go back we would do it all over again (and maybe even on purpose this time!). I don't really have anything all that revelatory to say, just remember to always love and support one another, especially when you don't want to! We miss you guys, glad things are going well.

Abner and Rosie Bauman said...

Congratulations! Just talked with your mom Cooper at lunch today at UPBC and she mentioned the blog.

Sounds like you are having an interesting time down under. Our best wishes to you.

We just got to camp yesterday after 3,800 miles from Alaska. We spent four weeks at a camp up there about two hours north of Anchorage--North Star Bible Camp. We enjoyed Alaska very much; you can read the story if you want to a http://abrosienews.blogspot.com

Cheerio,

Abner and Rosie