Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Barbeque

Friday night Sarah and I threw a barbeque for my coworkers from Gibbs & Cox Australia. About 25 of them showed up for the partay. It was a magnificent success. The weather was clear and crisp, and the stars were out in force. The new barbeque (grill, for my fellow Americans) worked wonderfully, turning out some delicious burgers and sausages, and even a couple lentil and chick pea burgers. The flaming braziere hosted its first fire, fueled by some hot-burning red-gum and eucalyptus hardwood. Despite the cool temperature of the evening, most people spent their time outside, conversing around the fire about topics ranging from home brews to having to pay for your ketchup (tomato sauce for my Aussie friends) at McDonalds in Europe.

Sarah and our friend Megan whipped up several scrumptious food options, including cajun potato wedges, a veggie plate, home made chips and guacamole, and a baked blueberry cheesecake. Sarah also intruduced the Australians to good old fresh home made lemonade, and us uninitiated Americans were taught the proper way to prepare an unfiltered Cooper's ale for consumption.

After a long separation my pipe is again with me, so I smoked some "Hobbit's Blend" tobacco given to me as a going away gift by my friend Ben Guthrie. My friend Ruben smoked my spare pipe. I'm growing a bit of a beard at the moment, and it was noted by several that the image was picturesque.

Overall I think it was a good night of company fellowship and deepening of friendships. I'll be looking forward to next time.

No comments: