Thursday, October 09, 2008

Canning/Freezing

Well I'm finally done! But did it really have to end this way? I have canned over 5 bushels of fruit, frozen 1/2 bushel of beans, 1 flat of strawberries (as jam or berries) and 6lbs of blueberries. I think that's pretty good for my first summer doing any of it. Everything has gone well until my last night, argh. Not one broken jar or bad seal but tonight we had 3 strikes. 1 broken jar, 1 just blew the top off and 2 possible non sealers since they're oozing applesauce as we speak.

I guess I better not complain but if only I had saved the best for last, right? Well I did because my wonderful husband is letting me go away for the weekend with 2 long-time friends in Chicago! Woo hoo! I hope to cook, eat cheesecake, & get lots of sleep. I doubt it since I can't sleep even when I get the chance. So...

Here's to my wonderful husband and prayers that Alex co-operates this weekend. I love you lots. I promise to scrub every crevice of the kitchen when I get back.

2 comments:

Paul J said...

I am so proud of you Sarah. You surpass me many times over!

If those jars did not seal, just clean them off, perhaps take out a spoonful of applesauce leaving a little more headroom, put on a new lid and put back in the waterbath. They should be fine.

We are missing you guys very much! Don't let the little man forget who we are!

Have a great time in Chicago

Love, Mom

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Well done! Very impressive.

Have fun on your trip!