Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Home Again

Well just to let you know, we arrived home yesterday in one piece! We started the trip out behind schedule in GR and then were delayed again in Texas, but we made it to our flight from LA to Sydney fine. Brian had an exit row seat from Texas to LA, which he lost because of me - sorry Brian! - because some girl was sick behind me. Her boyfriend had asked the guy next to her if he would switch (giving him the exit row seat) but the guy refused. So I asked Brian if he would switch with her, squishing him back in a normal window seat space. I should have thought about it and offered my seat to the guy so Brian and I could sit together in the exit row, but obviously I wasn't smart enough for that.
It obviously was very hectic for the boarding crew in LA because they were lots of people in line and they pretty much dismissed my need to be seated on an aisle seat. The lady at the end of our row tried to sleep the whole time, so I was a little annoyed because that meant we had to limit the number of times we could get up and use the bathroom - not cool when you're pregnant!! I always feel bad for Brian because he doesn't have any leg room and his neck always gets really tight giving him a headache; so it had to be way worse for him. :( We did jump over her a couple of times to get out but getting back into the seat was the hard part. Anyway, Qantas's (our airline) staff is always really nice and they kept me fed, even at 1am in the morning when I was feeling sick. It is true that once you fly first/business class it is hard to go back to coach.

Since we were stuck in our seats for 14hrs (I did get up a few times) my feet were so swollen when we arrived in Sydney I could barely tie my shoelaces. Brian was struggling with his congestion and major headache. Then we headed to the first immigration checkpoint which was ridiculous because there were about 300 of us in line all merging into one line. Well praise God it only took us 10 min to get our luggage and get through the luggage screening! I fished out some painkiller from our bags for Brian and we headed off to our domestic flight.

Once our bags were checked we washed our faces and changed our clothes before boarding our last flight to Adelaide. We had a nice chatty Queenslander cabby take us home. It was hot - 36 degrees and the house was warm from being shut up for 2 wks. We showered, ate, turned on the air in our bedroom and laid down for a nap. I woke up at 5:45pm and realized the power was off!! We knew it had been off for at least 2hrs because we set our alarm for 3pm and it never went off. I checked the electric box and then woke up Brian to decide what to do. At this point I'm a little overwhelmed and feeling sick from flying and the heat. So we hop in the car to go for a ride and get food.
Luckily our wonderful friends Annie and Nandor were home and they let us come hang our in their air-conditioned house and eat pizza until we headed home for bed!! It was so wonderful and relaxing and probably helped stay awake a lot better than we could have done ourselves. Well we got home and the power was back on :)!!

Brian got up at 6pm to go to work and he said that he felt ok. We slept through the night pretty well, even with the 4hr nap in the afternoon. Well it's supposed to be 40 degrees today... I better get ready with a cool shower and begin some unpacking and laundry. Sorry for the lengthy report. We had a wonderful time at home and were very sad to leave you all.

No comments: