Monday, October 22, 2007

The Big Surprise

My ongoing struggle is, in a way, with priorities. I'm pretty sure I have the right ones in the right order on paper. The hard part is making consistent decisions, even small ones, in a way that correctly reflects the priorities. I suppose I could call that realized priorities.

My realized priorities definitely tend to center around myself, and sometimes my family. Big surprise.

Marriage and fatherhood have turned an embarrassingly bright spotlight on my selfishness. They've also been two incredible relationships that God has used to change me. I'm learning that neither relationship works unless my relationship with God comes first. It takes a lot of faith to make God my realized first priority. It's a lot easier to get wrapped up in the here and now and effectively worship the lovely and talented Mrs. Cooper or the chubby cheeked little cherub, or even myself. God's got a lot of work to do, and even though I hate it sometimes I'm glad he's on the job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian, it's so good to have you, Sarah, and Alexander (back) with us once again. I pray tha tyou will continue to adjust to living State-side, to having a new job, etc. I also appreciate your comments, and you passion for living the Christian life. God bless you all!

Andy Smith